Tooth bleaching is also called tooth whitening. Tooth bleaching is used for discolored teeth or brighter smile. Everyone is born with slightly different color tooth shade.
Your teeth can become discolored by stains on the surface of tooth(extrinsic stains) OR by change in the tooth materials (intrinsic stains).
Reason for discoloration of teeth
- Naturally yellowish teeth
- Coffee, tea, cola drinks, red wine or other drinks
- Berries, curries, soya sauce when consumed over long period of time can cause discoloration.
- Much exposure to fluoride during early childhood (fluorosis)
- Antibiotic such as tetracycline can cause discoloration in children whose teeth are forming.
- Trauma to the tooth, trauma causes internal bleeding in tooth. It causes discoloration.
- You were born with a rare condition dentinogenous imperfecta.
- Due to age
- Tobacco chewing
- Neglected hygiene or bad oral habits
There Are Many Type of Discolorations
- Yellow Stains
- Brown and Black Stains
- Dark Blue and Purple Stains
- Green and Orange Stains
- Greyish Stains
Type of Tooth Bleaching
Tooth bleaching is mainly two types (1) at office (2) at home
Bleaching is safe, effective treatment, and fast than any other cosmetic treatment. If you feel your teeth are discolored, then u can get brighter and lighter teeth with bleaching. Bleaching should be done in healthy mouth. If you have any tooth related or gum related problem then it should be cured first.
- Office bleach is fast and done by dentist. It is done in dental clinic. It takes 45 minutes to one hour, depending on your discoloration. Generally one sitting is enough but if stains are more deep and prominent then further sittings can be done.
- Teeth are coated with whitening solution on front surface with giving protection to all other tissue, it will then be left for 15-30 minutes or reapplied in specific increments of time for up to one hour, depending on the brand.
- You have to avoid colored food for 4-5 days after bleaching, otherwise no any special precautions are necessary.
- Home bleaching is done at your home.
- Doctor will take impression of your all teeth and will make special tray for your mouth.
- Doctor will provide you home bleaching solution, that solution is placed in special tray.
- You have to wear that tray for 30 minutes to one hour according to brand per day.
- Generally two weeks are sufficient for good result, but if stains are dark in color then 4-6 weeks are required.